Kent State’s Home Page and FlashLine Student Portal Enhanced for Better User ExperiencePosted Aug. 19, 2013
This fall, Kent State University students, faculty and staff will notice an improved online experience. University Communications and Marketing and Information Services (in partnership with the University Registrar, Undergraduate Studies, Graduation Planning System and other campus departments) recently launched enhancements to FlashLine and the Kent State website, just in time for the start of the semester.
“We’re very pleased that we can offer our constituents a more robust online experience, no matter what device they use to access the web,” says Iris Harvey, vice president for university relations. “At Kent State, we feel a great responsibility to continually evaluate and modernize the tools and services that students and staff use every day to register for classes, read the latest campus news and access academic program information.”
Kent State Home Page: Smartphone and Tablet Improvements
- The Kent State home page has been rebuilt to include better support for tablets and smartphones
- Users will now notice that the Kent State home page fits their device’s screen and includes all of the features of the desktop version, including Success Stories, news, social media and events
- A menu in the upper-left corner provides easy access to Maps, Directory and FlashLine, as well as the familiar kent.edu main navigation options
- A search button in the upper right corner allows access to searching the Kent State website
- Research and user testing was performed with students, faculty and staff to ensure a good user experience and functionality across all devices
FlashLine Student Tools & Courses tab
- Based on user feedback, FlashLine’s Student Tools & Courses tab, where students manage their schedule, grades, course registration, graduation planning and advising, is more logically organized
- Frequently used tools are now more accessible, with icons that allow for faster identification
- Unused tools have been eliminated or reduced on the tab, leaving more room for the tools that students said are most important
- A new GPS and advising section allows students to easily schedule an advising appointment and access their graduation roadmaps
- Academic calendars and important deadlines are now highlighted in their own area on the tab
- A built in “sync” tool for Blackboard Learn allows students with missing courses to synchronize their student account with their Blackboard courses, reducing the need to contact Tech Help
- FlashLine now has a link to Google Drive (formerly Google Docs) in the top toolbar, providing immediate access to cloud-based storage of documents, spreadsheets, presentations and more
FlashLine Login Page: Mobile and Tablet Improvements
- With an increasing number of students accessing FlashLine on their mobile devices, FlashLine’s login page at http://flashline.kent.edu has been enhanced to fit the screen size of any device
- Users on smartphones will notice that they no longer have to pinch and zoom in order to log in
- The new FlashLine login page will be integrated into the new Kent State home page as well
Additionally, better smartphone experiences have already been made available through the School of Journalism and Mass Communication (www.kent.edu/jmc) and via the KSUmobile app (www.kent.edu/ksumobile).
“Information Services is happy to partner with University Communications and Marketing to ensure campus technology is updated and easy-to-use,” says Ed Mahon, vice president for information services and chief information officer. “With mobile web browsing quickly overtaking traditional desktop access, staying relevant and supporting our users’ changing needs is something we take very seriously.”
Students, faculty, staff and alumni should be on the lookout for more opportunities to give feedback on future improvements to Kent State technology and websites.
Questions about Kent State’s Web presence? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.